Friday, February 13, 2009
In The NAVY
A lot of things happened this last month. I really thought I was getting canned on January 16th and so I started applying for jobs online, showing up for agency screenings and just “actively” looking for a replacement job. Unfortunately, I was never called in for an interview about any job offers. I was so stressed out, sad, worried and all bad energies united! :( It is so tough surviving here in the States right now especially if you know you will be jobless soon. Bills generate every month, expenses everywhere, even if you try your best to manage your money, its still not going to make a difference. I never thought I would be affected by the economic meltdown; it didn’t hit me until I got the news. Our company has been doing a lot cost-cutting and downsizing and it is so obvious.

Anyway, one day I got this phone call from a Navy Officer. He said he found me on their database and he wanted to talk to me about considering the military for a career future. Coming from a family like mine, I did not have any idea how it’s going to be. Of course, I was hesitant because all I know is that people in the service get sent to war almost everyday and they die there. Poor families. And so as open as I am, I went to pay him a visit. Even before I met up with him, I researched a lot online and talked to retired Navy people. I found out it wasn’t that bad. I thought if it was a “bad” thing to be in service then why is it that a lot of people are actually proud of it? Of course I refuse to believe everything the officer was telling me because he is supposed to be like a salesperson in a car dealership. The good thing about this officer was him being Pinoy, I was able to express myself well that I was in his office for about 3 hours!

So where am I now? I just finished taking the entrance test which they call ASVAB. I was told I scored well compared to majority of the test takers. You are only required to score at least 35 to pass and I got 61. It was a very long wait to get in the testing room since the line was so long. I was at MEPS (Military Entrance Processing Station) at 1pm and did not get in until 4pm. When I sat on my computer, all I could think of was my headache and how much I wanted to finish the test! I kept telling myself though; I really really have to do good for this is where my future rests.

One step at a time I am getting there. Next I have to go through the physical / medical exam then consult with a career specialist and match my qualifications to their needs. I am just glad that I am done with the test – it was nothing like I thought it would be and it was even harder than UPCAT!

I am still employed by the way, thank God because I need this to continue paying for my bills and to prepare for the day I leave for Boot Camp. Wow! Who would ever think huh? I remember a famous line saying… “what the mind can perceive, the body can achieve” I want to do this for my family, my health and most especially for a sure secured future 20 years from now! So wish me well and pray for me :)
 
posted by ibYang at 2:13 PM | Permalink |


0 Comments:


Post a Comment

~ back home